Free forum:Talk Football UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mowbray takes blame

Go down

Mowbray takes blame Empty Mowbray takes blame

Post  Phoenix Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:33 am

Mowbray takes blame for West Brom FA Cup defeat at Burnley

Feb 4 2009 by Robert Tanner, Birmingham Post

West Bromwich Albion manager Tony Mowbray blamed his misfiring strikers for his side’s FA Cup exit at Burnley last night.

Albion striker Roman Bednar wasted several golden chances and Marc Antoine Fortune hardly had a shot on goal during the fourth round replay at Turf Moor.

In contrast, Steven Thompson scored twice for the Clarets in their 3-1 win, while Martin Paterson and Robbie Blake were a constant menace to Albion as the Championship side picked up another Premier League scalp.

“We missed a few opportunities and we were generally on top in the first half but found ourselves behind to a great strike,” Mowbray said.

“I was sat there feeling pretty comfortable because I thought we were the better side but it doesn’t matter because football is all about putting the ball into the net.

“I think the strikers of Burnley showed great desire and quality in the final third, which was probably the difference.

“We lacked that clinical touch which has dogged us all season. We are not as clinical as we should be in the final third.”

Albion’s injury woes increased and Mowbray’s attacking options were restricted as on-loan striker Jay Simpson limped off with a hamstring strain in the first half.

The Albion boss may now be forced to throw new signing Juan Carlos Menseguez straight into the fray in the important Premier League clash against Newcastle United at The Hawthorns this Saturday.

“He is a wildcard for us coming from South American football so when the opportunity comes to give him some time on the pitch we will see if he can bring something different,” Mowbray explained.

“He does have something a little bit different to what we have got. He is a wide player who has some tricks and can go past people.

“He has a bit of individuality so let’s wait and see when he has an opportunity to play.

“I will wait and see about Saturday because I might have a chance of playing myself!”
"Now that would be a Premiership first i think!"

Phoenix
Phoenix
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 432
Favorite Team : West Brom
Registration date : 2008-06-15

https://talkfootballuk100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down