Free forum:Talk Football UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

O'Leary's West Brom date

Go down

O'Leary's West Brom date Empty O'Leary's West Brom date

Post  Phoenix Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:26 am

O'Leary's West Brom date

Premiership new boys West Bromwich Albion will arrive at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday, August 2, in a Testimonial match for loyal Swans midfielder Kristian O'Leary (3pm).

It will be the first game of the new season at the Liberty Stadium as the Swans prepare for life in the Championship.

Both clubs will be putting out their first team squads in preparation for the new campaign.

"I'm extremely grateful to West Brom for agreeing to the game,'' explained O'Leary. "To celebrate my testimonial is a proud moment for me, my family and friends. But there's nothing as proud as pulling on a Swans shirt, even 12 years on from making my League debut.

"I'm sure the fans will enjoy watching Premiership opposition at the Liberty and it will be a good test for us ahead of the Championship campaign.''

O'Leary is a product of the Swans' youth set-up and has become a Swans stalwart after more than a decade of senior service to the club.

Born and bred in nearby Port Talbot, O'Leary made his debut in the 1995-6 season and has gone on to make over 300 appearances for the club.

The midfielder has certainly seen it all at the club since first pulling on the black and white shirt as a tender 18-year-old.

It was Jan Molby who gave him his League debut as a defender way back in 1996 in a 5-1 defeat at Bradford - the same day striker Lee Chapman made his brief Swans bow.

O'Leary, playing as a right wing back that day, was still registered as a second year apprentice at the time. But 12 years and over 300 appearances later, he is still plying his trade with the club as their longest serving player having seen a grand total of 14 managers step through the revolving door at the Vetch Field and the Liberty Stadium.

Starting the long list, there's Frank Burrows, Bobby Smith, Jimmy Rimmer, Kevin Cullis, Jan Molby, Micky Adams, Alan Cork, John Hollins, Colin Addison, Nick Cusack, Brian Flynn, Alan Curtis (twice), Kenny Jackett and caretaker Kevin Nugent.

"I don't think I've left anybody out, have I?" Answers on a postcard!

"It only seems like yesterday that I first joined the club as a 14 year old,'' reflects O'Leary. "It's hard to imagine that was over 16 years ago.

"I've certainly seen my fair share of managers come and go, probably more than most. At one time at the Vetch we seemed to be changing managers every few weeks.

"There have been times over the years when things haven't worked out for me. But that's when you test yourself,'' he added.

"Some give up when the going gets tough, while others just get on with it. That's me - I get on with it. I train no different whether I'm in the side or not. I'm a great believer in that because if you work hard enough your time will eventually come.''

And his character has certainly been tested over the years.

The lowest point of his 15 years at the Vetch Field came during the end of the John Hollins reign when a long spell on the sidelines coincided with personal problems away from the game; the arrival of the infamous Tony Petty; and, of course, relegation.

"The Petty era has been well documented,'' he added. "To be told on Christmas Eve that you are not going to get paid was the lowest of the low, especially when you've got a wife (Claire) and young children (Mia and Kavan) to consider.

"Thinking back to how close the club came to folding is still scary, especially when you consider where we are today - preparing for life in the Championship.''

Having enjoyed plenty of highs since then, there will be nobody who deserves his moment more than O'Leary.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 432
Favorite Team : West Brom
Registration date : 2008-06-15

https://talkfootballuk100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down