Free forum:Talk Football UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P Paul Birch

Go down

R.I.P  Paul Birch Empty R.I.P Paul Birch

Post  Phoenix Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:51 am

R.I.P  Paul Birch C2875610

Paul Birch
Footballer 1962 - 2009

Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder

Footballer Paul Birch, a mainstay of Aston Villa’s side in the 1980s, who went on to play for their Midland rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers, died on 2 February, 2009, at the age of 46 from cancer.

The midfielder made 173 appearances for Villa and scored 16 goals after rising through the youth team to make his league debut for the club in 1983.

His versatility – he could play on the right or the centre – and tenacity made him a favourite with the management and fans alike. But when Jozef Venglos became manager in 1990, he found himself out of favour and was sold to second flight Wolves in early 1991 for £400,000, joining up with his former manager Graham Turner.

He spent five years at Wolves as the club fought to get promoted to the Premier League, scoring 14 goals in 142 games.

Birch finished his career with a season at Doncaster Rovers and Exeter City before retiring from professional football.

In May 2008, it was revealed he was suffering from bone cancer. He died at Good Hope Hospital in Sutton Coldfield.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 432
Favorite Team : West Brom
Registration date : 2008-06-15

https://talkfootballuk100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum