Free forum:Talk Football UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football star gets mobile damages

2 posters

Go down

Football star gets mobile damages Empty Football star gets mobile damages

Post  Seraphim Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:51 pm

Cristiano Ronaldo said he wanted to protect his professional reputation

Football star Cristiano Ronaldo has accepted undisclosed High Court damages after a newspaper claimed he used his mobile phone during a training session.

Solicitor Simon Smith told the court that the Sun article implied "wholly unprofessional and arrogant behaviour".

Mr Smith said the story wrongly claimed the Manchester United player had broken club rules and was fined £8,000.

The Portugal international winger has donated the damages to a charity on his home island of Madeira.

Mr Justice Eady heard that February's article alleged the player had taken his mobile telephone onto the training pitch and sent four text messages during a single training session.

'Never happened'

This caused his manager Sir Alex Ferguson to be "furious and to fine him a bumper £8,000", the article continued.

Mr Smith said: "The allegation was widely republished throughout the world.
I take training very seriously and do not want people to think I do not try my best in training

Cristiano Ronaldo
"Both the claimant and Sir Alex Ferguson have confirmed that the alleged incident never happened."

He said News Group Newspapers, which publishes the Sun, had made an "offer of amends" under the Defamation Act.

The footballer said in a statement after the hearing: "I felt it necessary to bring this action in order to protect my reputation as a professional footballer.

"Contrary to the impression the article gave, I take training very seriously and do not want people to think I do not try my best in training.

"I'm glad something good has come out of this and that a charity I care about will receive the damages."
Seraphim
Seraphim
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 109
Interests : Being God's Servent!
Favorite Team : Heaven FC
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Football star gets mobile damages Empty Re: Football star gets mobile damages

Post  Baggie lad Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Who does this "Ronaldo" think he is, just because someone writes a story about him that is not true he as a hissy fit and takes them to court.

Now i see this as a total waste of court time, just to make him self look and feel untouchable, if every one took someone to court over something like this any real issues that need to be in court would take years to get a court date.
Baggie lad
Baggie lad
Newbee
Newbee

Male
Leo Cat
Number of posts : 68
Favorite Team : West Bromwich Albion
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down