Free forum:Talk Football UK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Part of an interesting story.

Go down

Part of an interesting story. Empty Part of an interesting story.

Post  Phoenix Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:21 am

So what are my new expectations? What would my vision be if I had to sell West Bromwich Albion to a major investor?

Well, surely rather than a drift away from the foundations of the game, a return to what has attracted investors into the English game and made English football clubs great institutions, namely English passion, support and community, is the way forward. Football is about people, without people, there are no football clubs. Without supporters, clubs are moribund; there is no Premier League product to sell. So the focus has to be on developing a people friendly club at the heart of a community.

Results every week are not the be all and end all if the direction of the club is sound and there is an effort to develop an attractive playing style and younger players. Ironically, where the demand for instant success and perhaps the instability which goes with that is a pitfall of signing the best players and attracting the big investors, stability of the structure of the football club and personnel in a club enables a better chance to develop a strong style and culture, if the senior staff have the correct vision. Let football managers manage, unlike the prevailing trend.

Certainly while I would want a new investor to provide a limited cash injection to finance players at B71 to allow Albion to stabilise in the Premier League, I certainly wouldn't want the readymade superstar players turning out for the Baggies. The provision of finance to acquire good young footballers capable of playing in the Premier League in an attractive style to develop into a team and better individuals appears the way forward for Albion, together with a strong and improving infrastructure and stability of key personnel.

Ironically in these times players have no absolute value. Is Robinho a better player if Manchester City pay £32.5m for him, whereas Chelsea would only pay £28m? Yes the market dictates a player price; however, there are only a number of finite clubs who can pay stupid money for players. At the end of the day players will always want to play. While market inflation invariably drives player prices and wages upwards, to my mind England, Europe and beyond will always develop players, it is about finding and further developing them. Very few players metaphorically fall to Earth from the Moon ready made ideal footballers worth £20m. Take Manchester City for example, are the promising youngsters like Daniel Sturridge going to get a chance at Eastlands now Mark Hughes has the pick of the worlds footballing talent? That is surely where Albion should be focusing their attentions and taking their opportunities to acquire players.

I rather £32.5m be spent on improving club infrastructure, the scouting network and subsiding season tickets to build the long term supporter base than all on one player.

So while the transfer days events may have ultimately taken hope, it certainly has given rise in my own mind to new potential opportunities. Ultimately the very strengths of the now big financial powers in the English Premier League may be a weakness and lead to a refocus of what is success in football and how to enjoy the beautiful game at the clubs outside this elite. This is, of course, predicated on the fact the English Premier League remains in its current format, which certainly is by no means set in stone but is another article and debate in itself.

Taken from the full story @
http://www.wbazone.com/news/article.php?newsitem=257217
Phoenix
Phoenix
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 432
Favorite Team : West Brom
Registration date : 2008-06-15

https://talkfootballuk100.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down